Writing can be a very individual thing. Everyone has their own writing habits and routines. I almost always have to write my first draft in long hand (or at least on my typewriter). I think that there's something so satisfying about seeing the words on the page as opposed to a monitor. As far as where, I usually work best in a café, bookstore or anywhere where there is some daily activity going on, although other times I need the peace and quiet.
Here are some of the writing habits of some well known writers:
- Writes approximately 10 pages a day
- Writes first in long-hand
- Wrote lying down
- Drafts were written on yellow paper
- After she died, most of her work was found on the back of envelopes, grocery bills, or scraps of paper.
- Said that he sometimes gets his ideas when walking his dogs
- Writes either early in the morning and/or late at night
- Puts in 18-hour days
- Uses a 1946 Olympia manual typewriter